Skylex Immigration Lawyer | Solution to any immigration problem

Work Visas

L2 For spouses and children

L-2 Visa Requirements for the USA

The L-2 visa is intended for spouses and minor children (under 21 years of age) of L1 visa holders who are moving to the USA with the primary applicant. This non-immigrant visa allows family members to accompany the main applicant to America and stay there for the duration of the primary L1 visa’s validity.

Spouses holding an L-2 visa are eligible to apply for a work authorization (EAD), which permits them to work in the States. Children on the L-2 visa cannot obtain work authorization but are entitled to study in American schools.

Documents for the L-2 Visa USA

To apply for an L-2 visa, you need to prepare the following documents:


L-2 Visa Application Process

  1. Filling out the DS-160 form. The first step involves each applicant filling out the online DS-160 form on the website of the U.S. consulate department. After completing the form, print out the confirmation page.

  2. Paying the consular fee. After filling out the DS-160 form, you need to pay the consular fee. The terms and methods of payment may vary depending on the country of application.

  3. Scheduling an interview. The next step is to schedule an interview date at the U.S. embassy or consulate. Usually, this requires registration on a special web page.

  1. Document preparation. Ensure you have all the necessary documents, including the DS-160 confirmation and proof of familial relationships, ready by the interview date.

  2. Attending the interview. At the interview, a consular officer will check your documents and ask questions related to your trip to the U.S. It’s important to answer all questions honestly and accurately.

  3. Visa issuance. After a successful interview, your passport will be taken for visa insertion. The processing time for a visa can vary, but the visa is usually ready within a few working days after the interview. You will be notified when and where you can pick up your passport with the visa.


Important Aspects of the L-2 Visa Process

It’s important to remember that the exact requirements and process for obtaining an L-2 visa can change. It’s recommended to regularly check information on the official website of the U.S. embassy or consulate in your country, as well as to consult with immigration attorneys for the most current information and assistance in preparing documents. This will help ensure a smooth and successful L-2 visa application process for your family.

  • Work Authorization for Spouses (EAD). Spouses who have obtained an L-2 visa can apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), which allows them to work in the U.S. This requires submitting Form I-765 to USCIS after arriving in the country. Obtaining the EAD can take several months.

  • Validity of the L-2 Visa. The validity period of the L-2 visa usually matches the validity period of the L1 visa of the main applicant. However, it’s important to note that extending the L1 visa does not automatically extend the L-2 visas, and family members will need to apply for their extensions separately.

  • Education for Children. Children who come to the U.S. on an L-2 visa can attend American schools without needing a separate student visa.

  • Travel Outside the U.S. L-2 visa holders can travel outside the U.S. and return within the validity period of their visa. However, each time they return to the U.S., they must present a valid L-2 visa.

If your company is planning an expansion into the United States and you would like to bring your current employees, please contact Skylex today for your free consultation!