EB-4 Category

G-4 to Green Card

G-4 to Green Card Visa

Longtime employees of international organizations stationed in the United States often seek to remain in the U.S. permanently after years of working and living here. While some employees may seek a job directly in the U.S., many other employees opt to apply for a Green Card upon their retirement. This process, known as G-4 to Green Card, allows those retiring employees to apply directly for a Green Card.

What organizations are Eligible?

According to USCIS, foreign missions such as embassies, consulates, North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), International Telecommunications Satellite Organization (INTELSAT) all qualify as international organizations for this Green Card Process. United Nations, World Trade Center, and World Health Organizations are also considered international organizations for G-4 to Green Card purposes.

Importantly in the D.C. area, World Bank and IMF employees also qualify.

If you are an employee of another international organization and you would like to apply for a Green Card, please contact Skylex today to check your organization’s eligibility

las-vegas-1846684_1920 (1)

What Employees are Eligible?

A retired or retiring employee and his or her spouse may apply for a Green Card if:

Additionally, the petition for a Green Card MUST be filed no later than 6 months after retirement.
I am a widow/widower of a former international employee, do I qualify?

The surviving spouse of a former international organization employee if:

Additionally, the petition for a Green Card MUST be filed no later than 6 months after the employee spouse’s death.
I am the unmarried child or a current or former international employee, am I eligible?

Certain unmarried children of former OR current (meaning not retiring) of international organization employees may qualify for a Green Card if:

However, a qualifying child MUST apply for a Green Card no later than his or her 25th birthday.

How to Apply?

The first step in the process is to petition for “special immigrant status” utilizing Form I-360. Certain persons may also be able to concurrently file to “adjust status” utilizing Form I-485 and receive a Green Card.

In order to qualify for special immigrant status, very specific evidence must be included in the petition, such as a Waiver of Rights, Privileges, Exemptions and Immunities.

Please note that foreign diplomats holding A visa that have compelling reasons why they are unable to return to their country MAY be able to file for a quasi-asylum under INA Section 13. Please contact Skylex for more information.


How can Skylex help?

Naomi Lee

Customer Support